Thursday 20 March 2014

Presentation 2

This was my second presentation for this project:


Last time as I've already mentioned, I wanted to to base my project about dreams. I am still doing my project on dreams but last time I've started off shooting without doing much research which is why my work didn't really look like how you would actually imagine a dream to look like. This why this time I've started off with loads of research and I will start my shooting when I exactly know what I'm going to shoot. 
I've started off this project by asking a few people about their dreams. I think that was a good way to start off this project because it gave me a really good idea how a dream actually looks like because I usually don't remember my own dreams. I've also asked a few kids about their dreams and it was really useful to know how weird things they would actually imagine in their dreams. 

After doing that I've started researching a few photographers that have shot dreams and I've found Joshua Hoffine. I thought it was really amazing how he exactly photographed what I had been interviewing kids. He has recreated childhood nightmares into still photographs and I think he's done it really well. I really like how one image actually explains the whole story of the dream which is something that I want to do as well. I was interested in creating narratives but in a sequence of images. This time I will try to have different shots that have a separate story individually.

This is one of the surrealisic photographers that I have researched and I like it because they are very simple photographs and it's amazing how a tiny detail or just one aspect of the photograph can make the whole thing look creepy and weird. This is something I am inspired by because I do t like it when there is too much going on in one frame and you don't know where to focus.

This is another example by Tami Bone and he has taken normal simple photographs that he transformed into a dreamy effect. Those are simple photographs that have been changed into black and white and than blurred out in a way that you would see in a dream sometimes.
I have put a variety of different typed of photographs into my research because of the fact that I'm doing individual images so I want to try loads of different stuff that are related to dreams.

This person has actually used a lot of photoshop to create his images but I've put him in because I wanted to try out that effect where someone is lets say 'flying'. I will do that by combining two photographs taken with a tripod on the same spot one with someone standing on a chair and one only the place. Than I can erase the chair out of the picture and combine the two images that I have left.

Another reason why I have chosen to research surreal photographers is because dreams have inspired a lot of surrealistic photographers.
Following is another technique that I want to try out while shooting my photographs and that can also usually be seen in dreams. It's called forced perspective. It can make objects look smaller or bigger than they actually are and sometimes it also makes the viewer look twice because it looks odd.

This is one that I found really interesting. It is an optical illusion and it makes a side of a person look invisible. I think that technique with the mirror can be quite useful for me when I'm shooting dreams and I want to add something weird in it.

This is one that can be quite useful for what I'm doing because he's made normal buildings and areas look a bit creepy and scary with effects. It is useful because a lot of times in dreams you can see areas look very scary or even places that you're familiar off looking a bit different and not how they should be. I think those effects can be achieved by just making HDR's and choosing that effect.

This is a man that has recreated his own dreams into photographs. I think it's a great idea but I wouldn't be able to do that because I usually do t really remember my own dreams. But I will be doing this with the dreams that others have told me and recreate them into an image that will try to tell the whole story.

These are a few more examples of surreal images that I've found and that I so how got inspired by to make similar images. The first photograph for example is called who am I? And if I only look at the photograph I wouldn't actually guess that it is something about someone that is trying to find her identity. I've put this in just because I wanted to point out that a title can give a whole new story to the image which is why I will title my images as well.
Red trauma - I like this one because it tells me that even angles are really important because they can make so etching look totally different than what it is like this photograph. It also reminds me of a photograph that I've seen in a Tom Hunter exhibition ages ago of a lady with a ironing board just on her stomach and it looked like she was hanging on it and she was dead but than only a tiny detail of a plug showed that the photograph was upside down and she was actually just sitting on the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment